PDF How To Read A Church Download
- Format: Hardback | 272 pages
- Dimensions: 135 x 204 x 28mm | 336g
- Publication date: 03 Jul 2003
- Publisher: Vintage Publishing
- Imprint: Pimlico
- Publication City/Country: London, United Kingdom
- Language: English
- Illustrations note: 8
- ISBN10: 1844130533
- ISBN13: 9781844130535
- Bestsellers rank: 197,694
'[a] gem of a book' Spectator
Churches and cathedrals were originally built to be read. They are alive with images and symbols. But today few people, including regular visitors, truly understand the wealth of meaning in what they find there.
How to Read a Church is a fascinating guide for anybody who wants to know more about what they see in a church or cathedral. It explains the significance of church layout, the symbolism of key scenes and the importance of details such as the use of colours and letters. It is an essential guide to the history, meanings and messages of these beautiful buildings and the treasures they contain.