PDF The Parthenon Download
- Format: Paperback | 240 pages
- Dimensions: 129 x 198 x 14mm | 204g
- Publication date: 20 May 2010
- Publisher: Profile Books Ltd
- Publication City/Country: London, United Kingdom
- Language: English
- Edition Statement: Main
- Illustrations note: Illustrations, port.
- ISBN10: 1846683491
- ISBN13: 9781846683497
- Bestsellers rank: 101,877
The ruined silhouette of the Parthenon on its hill above Athens is one of the world's most famous images. Its 'looted' Elgin Marbles are a global cause celebre. But what actually are they? In a revised and updated edition, Mary Beard, award winning writer, reviewer and leading Cambridge classicist, tells the history and explains the significance of the Parthenon, the temple of the virgin goddess Athena, the divine patroness of ancient Athens.